Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Tiny House Through the Wall Solar Oven Install

***Update 20190118**
My reliable summer solar oven doesn't reach more than about 155F during the winter. I strongly suspect it is because the back isn't insulated. I was really surprised that my SAH worked so well but my solar oven lost so much heat during the winter it maxed out at 155F instead of 224 or 227F. 

I won't modify the solar oven until I have designed an insulated version and have the funds to construct it (e.g. remodel the current one). The remodeled version will have insulation, good seals for the door, and thermal glass which won't melt at 320F.

***end 20190118 update**

Yep, it looks ugly. Later it won't look so ugly and it will have nice shiny side fins which open and close by through the wall stiff wires.


















Eventually the oven temperature maxed out around 224F.  This is without sealing the two side 2" pipes and without reflective material on the east and west sides (both of which I will do later).

A quick search shows the melting temperature of plexiglass is 320F, so I guess it is a good thing I didn't have the funds to add the two adjustable wings. The plexiglass will have to be replace with glass that can with stand 400 F.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've made a purchase, be sure to include a valid email. Your email will remain private and not be posted to the public.